Ruger_450
(Banned)
17/04/14 01:16 AM
Re: Which Highwall is best to rebarrel to big bore?

I do know it. I was telling why it was designed the way it was. It is a direct decedent from the US PA flintlock rifles that were usual smaller caliber to save lead. No need for sarcasm, in "messing about with guns" for six decades I have learned a bit. Being a gun book publisher and having a 500+ gunbook library also helps.

Various folks have different recoil tolerances. A 45-90 1886 with a rifle buttplate was designed to be shot standing on your hind legs and not wearing a T-Shirt. For many years I owned just that rifle and shot it with full BP loads and a 330 gr Gould design bullet. It has a 28" full heavy oct bbl and probably weighed 10 pounds. It "hung" wonderfully offhand and, as LOPs were shorter back when a tall man was 5' 8", I always wore a heavy coat. Yes it recoiled but the recoil had some place to go as I was not locked into a bench rest or sitting with my back against a rock.

95% of hunters today can't hit a bull in the butt at 100 yards on their hind legs and if something is moving you can forget it. While I shot 4 position from high school on with 22 RF and then NM M-1s, I have found that sporting clays have greatly improved my offhand shooting, especially if something is moving.

As for the mounting point, your description is still too far up the arm. There should be no "meat" behind the prongs.

Probably the most nasty rifle with a rifle buttplate was an 1895 Winchester in 405. Have a pal who loves 95's and has about 20. His 405 with the shotgun buttplate is much nicer for shooting at fixed targets BUT when rolling tires down a Woming hill (tall) with a target in the middle (essentially snap shooting) the one with the rifle buttplate always does better.

IME if you are a decent skeet or clays shooter, you will be much better equipped when that deer exits a deadfall at warp speed.

In any case the thread is way, way off the OPs question.

The modern Winchester and Browning High Walls are very strong guns, with a safer rebounding firing pin, excellent Extraction/ejection. I would still prefer a No.1 as a hammer is always a pain especially with optics. Rugers have been done in 600 Nitro, largest (old) highwall I ever saw was a 50-95 that found its way to India and then the USA.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com