lancaster
(.470 member)
27/03/14 07:33 AM
Re: Dreyse Zündnadelfüsiliergewehr

I understand your concerns about eye protection but the design of the dreyse rifle dont let gas in the direction of the shooter. this are Guy and Leonard A.R.West from England who have a very high knowledge about early breech loader and working with scientific precision.
I hope they will make a book one day about theirs work.
the cartridges were made by the owner of this rifle. The last factory making cartridges was the old Dreyse factory in Sömmerda. I believe the factory was bought in 1996 by Rheinmetall and than renamed to "Rheinische Metallwarenfabrik Sömmerda, vormals v.Dreyse". Dreyse was allways an ammo maker and it was the first business under the "Dreyse und Collenbusch" name where Dreyse make the money for his breechloader development

Headstamp was Dreyse and later RMS( not RWS)
I believe that needle fire ammo production stopped after the outbreak of WW 1 in 1914. I have the copy of an old RMS catalog around 1904 were you find the complete range of needle fire paper cartridges and components for handloading including the french chassepot needle fire rifle. every new ammo you find sometimes is made by some shooter and lover of the Dreyse rifle.
the use of the original sabot ammo is not possible in germany because modern sabot ammo for rifled barrel is forbidden. stupid but thats the law and everyone take 16mm roundballs for making paper cartridges.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com