Englishman
(.275 member)
09/08/13 04:49 AM
Re: Gibbs Farquharson 303 With Selous Plates

With reference to the "Selous" plates on my G,Gibbs rifle,I have not yet had the nerve to remove the plates,but as can be seen from the photo's they have been re blued in recent times,and the screws polished,I am sure that they would come off again in the interest of science,I am sure that ,as has been mentioned,there must have been some sort of simple press tool to roughly form up the plates,if this plate were made from thick enough steel,there would have been some chance of filing up the plates to final contour this would still be a very skilled job,but as the extra cost of Selous plates was only £3 there was not much profit in it,remember that they did not have the easy fix of glass bedding and such things in 1887!
Huvius, I like your idea of the flags of convenience being tucked into the lid of the case,I suppose you could also tuck your pyjamas in there,ready for any event! The stock,and plates do have the customs stamps of a couple of African countries,these were struck on at entry to an African country for tax purposes,(it would make me feel a bit sick ,seeing a hairy customs man with a large hammer approaching my Gibbs with evil intent).
Chris.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com