Huvius
(.416 member)
25/05/13 10:50 AM
Single Shot Rifles at Auction

Once again, I thought I would start a thread on the single shot auction scene.
Maybe John can create individual forum topics for the Mausers, Doubles, Mannlichers and Singles at auction for us all to share. But until then, here is my first entry for the "Singles at Auction" thread.

At the upcoming Holt's auction. Certainly, quite a special rifle:

Sale A1072 Lot 1220

ALEXR. HENRY & CO.
A FINE AND RARE .303 NITRO EXPRESS FRASER 1880 PATENT SIDELEVER TAKE-DOWN FALLING-BLOCK SPORTING RIFLE, serial no. 3474,
serial number on barrel and face of action only, 27in. round nitro barrel engraved 'ALEXR. HENRY & CO. 22 FREDERICK ST. EDINBURGH.', block mounted open sights and two folding leaf sights marked for 100, 200 and 300 yards, ramp-mounted bead fore-sight, Fraser patent sidelever falling block action, patent no. 5403 of 23rd December 1880, automatic safety with gold-inlaid 'S' detail, the hand mounted with a fully adjustable folding peepsight, partially chequered trigger, fine and bold acanthus scroll engraving, the action unsigned, retaining much original colour-hardening and finish, 14 3/8in. well-figured pistolgrip stock with cheekpiece, horn pistolgrip-cap, inlet sling eye, including chequered horn buttplate, fore-end with fluted tip and engraved Deeley & Edge patent release catch, weight 6lb. 12oz.

Other Notes: Current research suggests that only around four hundred Fraser patent falling block rifles were ever produced. Daniel Fraser died in 1902 and although the company continued in business under the guidance of Daniel Fraser's son, Donald, for nine years, it is surmised that most of the falling block rifles were made during Daniel's lifetime. The Henry records show just 20 Fraser patent rifles being sold by them.

Estimate £8,000-12,000

Contact Us NitroExpress.com