Rule303
(.416 member)
21/03/13 01:48 AM
Re: Gibbs Farquharson #971

Quote:

TH44, Mark has emailed the ledger page to me but interestingly, it makes no mention of the original chambering.
I need to look closer at it as it is not too easy to read to see if I can decifer it better.
I also thought it could have been a 450/400 originally but in retrospect, the swath of wood taken from the stock to allow for the sight in the comb would have probably precluded it being a heavy recoiling rifle from the start. Also, the barrel shank on a 303 would have been the same as on the 6.5mm I would think, or at least very close to it.

Rule, the little knob is for the sight. I don't know how it works but I imagine that it may have a little disc with graduations cut out of it so as to lock the staff at the prescribed heights/yardages. Maybe I will take a look some day. It would be nice to restore the sight to original some day.
This rifle doesn't have as deep a grip as the other two with this feature so I can't imagine the sight staff has a whole lot of vertical adjustment. Maybe this is the first Gibbs with this feature and it didn't acheive enough elevation, so the later examples had a grip that curved nearly vertical at the gripcap so a longer staff could be fit. Who knows...

Thanks Huvius for that information. It would be nice to know how it works. If you ever do restore the sight please report and pictures.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com