DonT
(.224 member)
25/02/13 06:09 AM
I am probably going about this wrong......

Well I was at a gun show this weekend and ran in to some 9.3X72R ammo (see pics below). I have bumped into a few Drillings on the net in this caliber and thought it would be nice to have some ammo if the opportunity ever presented itself and one came to live at my house.. Figured I could always find a home for it if it i dind't find one...

I ended up investing about $70 in the 30 rounds which seemed to be a Fair Price and it was the only ammo in this caliber I was able to find.

I need a littel assistance though. Is the old ammo safe to shoot? The white box appears to be be stamped Speer but I cannot read the rest of it but the headstamp say DMW and the bottom of the box says Made in West Germany. The orange labeled boxes are RWS and from what I can make out they seem to be 193gr bullets loaded with 39 grains (?) of R5 (?)... I have no idea why the bullets are silver (maybe for hunting Werewolves... LOL)........

I know it is a bit backwards to by the ammo THEN look for a gun but this stuff seems to be getting just a bit hard to find. I never have been the brightest bulb on the tree...

Anyhow I have a few quesitons:
Can I presume this is berdan (vs Boxer) primed?
Anyone know if it would be corrosive?
Is it safe to shoot in a non-damascused barreled gun?
Is there an easy way to stop the corrosion of the brass without effecting the primer or powder until I find a gun?? Actually it would be nice to clean them up a bit. They are just dark, no real corrosion on them.

Finally if it is berdan primed, any thoughts on pulling the berdan primer, reaming the primer hole, enlarge it in a lathe and then soft soldier a brass plug where it was enlarged then redrilling the flash hole and recess for the primer so it would accept Boxer Large rifle Primers???

Thanks much for your help....

DonT

Contact Us NitroExpress.com