DoubleD
(.400 member)
24/04/12 02:01 AM
Re: new Martini-Henry Mark II Actions

Unless you can make these for less than $425 out the door you are wasting your time. That is the price for an uncleaned MH MK II rifle from the Nepalese cache here in the U.S. That price is good enough that the two companies selling these rifles are filling orders for UK, Canada and Australia.

Do this rifle in the Francotte detachable lock Martini and you will have a much better project.

You may be familiar with this action in the little BSA .22 Francotte Martini and .310 Cadet.

There was a lesser known large action made. Westley Richards supplied the Boer Republic with a large number of these in 577/450 Martini.

There is a side safety version, Here is one done up by Jeffery's in 577 Snider.

If you do the Martini Henry. Look to doing the MK I type trigger with sliding safety. That trigger was in the Martini Peabody target rifles.

There are Martini Henry pattern sporters that would be appealing also. But the side safety is a must for a hunting rifle.

Here are a few.

I think you will find a better market for these if you target the sporter market.

Calibers. I am not a big fan of the 45/70 in this gun. The reality is that you will sell more guns in 45/70. Other Calibers to consider are Westley Richard Musket No.2 (Gibbs 500/450 No. 2)(500/450 Musket No 2), .375 2 1/2 Flanged NE, .303 Brit., 30-30 Winchester, 405 Winchester and 577 2 3/4 NE.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com