DBLGN
(.224 member)
26/01/12 04:26 AM
Re: George Gibbs Rook rifle

"looking through my Ellis book and noticed my rook is nearly identical to the H&H rook pictured in the back."

The H&H rook rifle in the book was originally chambered for "250 Semi-smooth" with a center hammer (which I had to make a new hammer for - on the original, the sear notch was broken out). As with too many of these rifles, it had been excessively tampered with and even re-lining was not an option. I tried, but even with a piloted drill, the bore was too crooked to use. Anyway, we ended up having to cut the original barrel using it as a monoblock. We built the original barrel into a 25-20 Win. Then built two additional monoblocks, one became a .22 Hornet, the other a .410 (these were the customer's requests). Both rifle barrels were equipped with my QD scope mounts and iron sights. When I made the new hammer, I made it with a right angle "ear" or spur to the RH side (for a RH shooter), to make it easier to cock with the scopes mounted. Really hated to see that gun leave the shop - was so much fun to shoot and quite accurate.

This gun was supposed to be for the customers wife, but have heard nothing back that she has used it at all. Her husband on the other hand, has reported taking hyena, Francolin, and spur fowl with it - go figure.

These are not super strong actions, but agree with most of the cartridge suggestions above. Like anything else, the cartridge selection is a very personal preference - what you like, already have dies & loading stuff for, have another gun chambered for, or my personal favorite - I just like the "looks" of this cartridge (whatever it might be). Obviously, as has been mentioned, the issue about whether or not the firing pin has been modified for the .22RF needs to be addressed. On the one I had, the pin was easily replaced and one could have had one for a rimfire and one for center fire.

Ellis

Contact Us NitroExpress.com