lancaster
(.470 member)
03/08/11 05:41 AM
Re: Wilhelm Brennecke /Leipzig Drilling

Quote:

Regarding Stützhakenverschluss; can I help partly answer this in a round-a-bout way:

My German cafe owner Helga was showing me a picture on the wall of her hometown, Wuppertal. It showed the unique suspended railway there. She couldn't think of the engineer's name for the braces or supports that hold it up. I happened to have a Schüler-Lexicon that named them as Stützen. Now this is, of course, also the name of the Stützen rifle which we call in English "fully-stocked". We learn from this, (I think), that Stützen means that the long stock is seen as a "support" and that it does not mean it's a carbine as it is so often translated as, (some Stützen stocked rifles are, of course, much longer than carbines. I have an example myself).

please let me correct something: the Stutzen rifle is not write with umlaut ü. this word is a dialect thing and more common in south germany /austria. it comes from the 19. maybe from the 18. century - I am not sure about it now - and means a short hunting rifle with full stock. iicr, Stutzen means "gestutzte länge" what I would translate in english as shortened lenght because it was shorter than a common infanterie musket or even a rifle if we look to WW 1.
a carbine was a much shorter firearm having a ring to hang it into the carabiner on the bandolier of the soldier.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com