Grenadier
(.375 member)
18/10/10 09:08 AM
Re: HELP!: Browning 78 vs Browning 1885 vs Ruger #1?

Yes, if manipulated as it is supposed to be it will not fire. And the 1885 is a good bit better than the B78 in that regard. But on a cold, wet day with half frozen fingers, if you poke your finger into the trigger guard in preparation to putting the rifle on half cock you can inadvertently pull the trigger before getting the hammer back. Or, if you pull the hammer back and just as you are about to pull the trigger the hammer slips from your rain-soaked glove just before the trigger moves, then it will fire. Dry firing at home or working the action at the shooting range is not the same as handling the firearm in the woods, especially during inclement weather. Because you have to manipulate and coordinate the movements of both the hammer and the trigger to get the rifle to half cock there is always the possibility that you can accidentally do it wrong. Then it will do exactly as you say it is designed to do, "the rifle will indeed fire". That is why Browning advises you to put your thumb between the hammer and the firing pin before attempting to go to half cock.

I prefer a true safety that I can apply without going anywhere near the trigger. That is why in this X-vs-Y-vs-Z post I explained that I consider the Ruger's safety a plus for the Ruger. But again, some people are content with the just half cock. If that describes you then fine.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com