DPhillips
(.375 member)
14/07/04 07:02 AM
Re: Questions about the Ruger #1 for Alaska

I have no idea why the 375 would be more.

You say you have a hunt scheduled here in Alaska for next year, what are you going to be hunting? (oops I see above you mentioned bear).

I've been using a No.1 in 338 for a long time now, for about 20 years. I've used it for sheep, moose, caribou, bear, and deer. I think it depends on where you are going and what you are going for, to decide on the chambering. If you are just going after brown bear in the thick stuff, a 416 or 458 would be the ticket. If you are doing moose and caribou, a 300 or 338 would fit the bill nicely. If it's sheep and bear in the high country, the 300 or 338 would be fine there also.

I wouldn't recommend a single shot rifle for the one rifle hunter in Alaska. For everything but the big bears in the really thick stuff, yes, it'll work fine. But, it's just not a comfortable feeling to go into zero-visibility brush after a wounded bear with a singleshot rifle.

The 375 would work, as would the 338.

It just depends on what you are hunting and where you will be hunting it.

I have never felt handicapped with my No.1's. But then again, I've never shelled out big bucks for a hunt either. The No.1 can be shot, reloaded and shot again surprisingly fast, with practice. I would still give the edge to a bolt action rifle, but for a second, well-aimed shot, it would be close.

The No.1 is a great rifle, I really enjoy mine, but I would want a repeater for tangling with a ticked off bear in the thick stuff.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com