Rockdoc
(.400 member)
13/04/10 03:49 PM
Re: Farquharson 600 Nitro Build

Thank you Glenn and generalwar for your positive comments, I will pass them along to Damien.

lancaster, I copied this off the net, without hijacking the thread too much I hope. Where the last tiger was shot is in the western portion of the island, near Bukit Timah, the highest point in Singapore.

"History
Between the late 18th to early 19th century, Chinese immigrants settled along the river, Sungei Berih. These settlers were called Kangchu, where chu was an established clan name, thus the name Choa Chu Kang. Choa Chu Kang was a small remote rural district with old kampong housing, rubber and coconut plantations. Residents relied on boats or bullock carts for transportation. The Chinese district that grew out of that community included Kampong Belimbing and Kampong Choa Chu Kang. Most of the early inhabitants belong to the Teochew clan who were mainly farmers growing ganmi and pepper. The Hokkiens, who settled later, started pineapple, rubber and coconut plantations as well as vegetable farms and poultry farms. Choa Chu Kang was infamous for wild tigers with the last tiger in Singapore shot here in the 1930s.

The plantations, old attap houses, street hawkers and Chinese kampongs have since disappeared making way for a modern HDB housing estate with ample community, institutional, recreational, commercial and industrial facilities. The Choa Chu Kang and Yew Tee MRT Train Stations, and the easy access road expressways make movement convenient to and from the area."

Interestingly, I was looking at an area near the border between Central and Eastern Kalimantan (Indonesian Borneo) last year when driving along a logging track we saw a black leopard. I was almost speechless. I can't speak much Bahasa, my companions little English. All I could say was "Cat, Cat" and the two Dyaks in the back seat said "yes, Cat"! Didn't do my homework did I, I hadn't realised there were cloud leopards in Kalimantan and the melanistic variety is common due to the jungle I believe. Of course I didn't think of the camera sitting on my lap until it was gone, just a few paces and it was lost in the jungle.

Cheers, Chris

Contact Us NitroExpress.com