sirrocco
(.275 member)
01/09/09 01:23 PM
Re: New - Gibbs Styled Farquharson - Hot Off The Press !

I had a sneaking suspicion that I was not alone in wanting to own a Gibbs styled Farkie when I started this project 2.5 years ago. I just didn't realise that the dream was so big for so many. But then again there isnt really anything else that "goes bang" (as one of the guys put it), that really compares with a Gibbs as far as styling goes. Anyway I am glad there are some that are excited about whats happening over here.

Looks like we might be buying a few more reamers after all. We will build a rifle in any calibre that someone wants that will work reliably on the action as it is. Someone has already asked for 450/400, so it seems that the writing is on the wall for me to have to convert the extractor / ejector to a rimmed version. Fortunately I dont think this wont take too much doing. And perhaps then do a heavy version for .577 Nitro etc if there is enough interest.
By the way the extractor is an extractor only if the lever is manipulated slowly and an ejector if manipulated rapidly.

Unfortunately these rifles are going to be pretty expensive compared to some, but very inexpensive compared to the top English makers would undoubtedly charge for the same product. I am about to get the pricing page on the web site updated in the next day or so. The price for a rifle with an excellent, (not special selection) piece of wood with all the normal extras one would expect, shadowline cheekpiece, ebony tip, quarter rib, Talley rings, grip cap, barrel band and light coverage engraving is going to cost U.S.$14,500. Add more engraving, better wood, skeleton butt plate and grip cap and the price goes up from there.

Without going into all the details, there is alot more work and time in making an action with all the detailing and compound curves that this rifle has compared to those that are essentially flat sided. In addition to the obvious exterior detailing there are things one cannot see from the pictures on the web site. For example, the front face of the trigger guard is convex in profile and the inside of the under lever that meets this face is concave, so light cannot pass between the two surfaces. The underside of the quarter rib is machined away to lighten it by approx 40%. The barrel has 2 lugs machined as part of the blank, one for the forend escutcheon and the other a lug that the quarter rib mounts on, which acts as a recoil lug and where the screw is positioned. This means that if you are shooting a lightish 375 H&H with a heavy scope mounted on it that there is no chance the screws will shear off. Nor can the forend escutcheon come off, as has previously happened with another single shot I used to own.

As of tomorrow we will have 6 receivers and associated components ready for polishing and assembly. I will endeavour to post pics shortly.

Cheers

Soroka Rifle Co.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com