TilleyMan
(.333 member)
17/08/09 09:35 PM
Case taper, extraction... and the Martini Cadet

Interested in people's thoughts on case taper and ease of extraction in the Martini Cadet based conversions?

I've always liked the idea of the .357 Max as the basis for a whole range of Cadet wildcats, and am keen on the idea of a .25/.357 Max... sort of a .256 Win Mag Improved using the increased case capacity. Quality brass (ie not Bertram) is much cheaper and easier to find than .222 Rimmed and a bit more punch in 25 cal... sort of a rimmed 250 Myra or 25 Copperhead.

I know first hand problems with sticky cases in the .222 Rimmed Cadets and I've no intention of going into the field with a cleaning rod to clear the chamber every third shot!

I think the Hornet and derivatives, the .32/20, .25/20 and.218 Bee and the .222 Rimmed fit the action very well, leaving a fairly safe chamber wall to barrel tenon thickness ratio. The .357 Mag has the largest case head size I'd be comfortable rechambering a Cadet action to... I know some people have done .30/30's in a Cadet and other variations on that case...

Even the .25/35 in my mind always looks a bit out of scale with that action (much better in a Martini Enfield), and I don't want to fiddle around with changing the block ramp angle or radius.

Case taper seems to be the issue with the Cadet's fairly marginal extraction... I know some of the old timer cartridges like the .25/35 have a pronounced case taper, just wondering how tapered a .25/357 Max case needs to be?

More taper than a .222 Rimmed seems like a good starting point!
But should it look like a mini .303/25

Cheers

TM

Contact Us NitroExpress.com