Buchsemann
(.333 member)
22/04/09 03:02 AM
Re: Cape guns anyone?

Vegard_dino,

I need to do something about filling the freezers that I have this year, my inventory of wild game is getting kinda low. Last winter I was trophy hunting and "the big guy" never showed up. My deer hunting is an annual thing (a given) and I plan on doing a boar hunt this year as well. I'd like to head down to New Mexico for an elk hunt but I haven't locked in anything as yet.

I'm packing tonight for a trip to do some maintenance on a property I have and to do some turkey hunting in the mornings. When I get back I'll have to take some pictures of the Sauer buchsflinte and several bockbuchsflintes for another thread that I think was started by Dale.

With regard to drillings, if I was to have one gun I would opt for the drilling. Double rifle drillings are great if you hunt primarily large game. A “combination” of a large rifle caliber, a small rifle caliber, and a tube for shot would cover everything. The more conventional SXS shotgun over a high power rifle has been a popular choice since the beginning. And then there is the small game drilling such as a “shienen” drilling, a SXS shotgun with a small bore (.22LR for example) running through the top rib. I hope fate allows me to never be put in a position where I have to pick one as I like them all. The “oddities” such as the drillings with three shotgun barrels or three rifle barrels don’t do much for me but I can appreciate some collectors wanting to have them.

This discussion reminds me that I should post some pictures a Franz Sodia bockdrilling that I have: 12 ga over a 7X57R with a .22LR running along side.

Marcus

PS – The attached picture is of a “Schienen” drilling that I have that was distributed by W. Eblen of Stuttgart (November, 1930). It is a 16 ga. SXS with a .22LR running through the rib. It’s from an earlier post having to do with cocking indicators.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com