Holmes
(.300 member)
19/03/04 12:29 PM
Re: Express Sights on Ruger No.1

I have a couple of them sitting around unused. I do not see them as well under diverse lighting. The white bead works much better for my eyes.

Bear in mind that 67% of all males exhibit colour blindness to some degree. Red is a very complicated colour and is one of the most affected hues with regard to colour blindness. Interestingly, the colour red is often an indicator of venom or toxicity in the lower vertebrate world so H. sapiens may have a problem if we ever have to compete in that niche!

To experiment with your own sight and colour interpretation, try painting the factory bead with white nail polish and red polish. It's easily removed. Remember, the Ruger bead is smaller than many aftermarket beads so keep that in mind.

There are those who really like the brass coloured bead and it can be enhanced by carefully filing the facing edge to a slight angle (sloping away from you). This helps the bead face pick up more light and show up better under varying conditions.

My biggest complaint with the Ruger bead is it's diminutive size. I like a bigger bead. Of course, my eyes are 50 years old! You may not need the bigger sight ball.

If you start changing front sights, be mindful of the little spring and detent cup. They are easy to lose or damage when installing a tight aftermarket unit. And, yes, that is the voice of experience you hear!

Cheers,

Contact Us NitroExpress.com