Tatume
(.400 member)
07/11/08 03:55 AM
Browning M1885, help?

Hello Folks,

I’m hoping there are some experts on M1885 rifles here. If so, please take a few minutes to help me with mine.

I have a Browning 1885 Hi Wall in 30-06, of which I would like to make better use. It has a 28” octagonal barrel that is fairly thin. The gun has a Leupold FX II 4x scope in Browning rings and bases, and no iron sights. I am the original owner, for about 15 years or so.

There are a couple of issues with the rifle. First and foremost, accuracy is part time. Sometimes it shoots well, other times not. Everything is tight (scope mounts, stock, etc.). Is there some reason you know of that would explain this?

Another fault (IMO) is the stock finish. It is the typical Browning plastic coating that looks like it was dipped in melted Plexiglas. If I could get the gun to shoot consistently well, then I would want to “fix” the stock. The question is, should I try to refinish it or just have the gun re-stocked? Who would you recommend to refinish or re-stock the rifle, for a price a working man could afford?

Is there a practical way to add sights to the thin barrel?

Finally, there is the forearm hanger. The attachment is anything but solid. If the forearm is squeezed it moves easily until it contacts the barrel. Can (or should) this be corrected?

Thank you, Tom

Contact Us NitroExpress.com