Holmes
(.300 member)
06/03/04 06:29 PM
Re: Ruger #1 forend mod....

Greetings 458,

The escutcheon cover is simply a cosmetic modification that covers the hole where you access the hangar screw. It's a two piece device that is countersunk into the forearm and has a flush removeable screw cover.

It requires drilling the countersink, polishing the escutcheon after forearm fitment, and blueing the unit. The finished product is quite attractive but serves no other function.

475 is correct regarding the washer trick. I prefer rubber O rings as they fill the space better and stay on the screw easily during disassembly. I use automotive air conditioning O rings available at any well stocked auto parts house.

Think of the washer/O ring trick as an isolator, not to be confused with a variable tension set-up like the Hicks Accurizer.

Quite honestly, to isolate the hangar screw, I am currently more inclined to remove some length from the screw. Usually taking off 1-2 threads does the trick.

I've had folks tell me that shortening the screw can't work as well as using a pliable insulator as it does nothing to absorb harmonics like a washer or O ring would. I'm not sure this is a valid argument given the design of the #1 hangar and its relationship to the barrel and the stock.

Good luck with your rifle and let us know what kind of results you find.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com