NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/01/04 08:35 PM
How about these Martini Takedowns

{b]Presentation Grade W.W. Greener Rifles

A magnificent pair of matched WW Greener Martini take-down rifles, no. 5572 and 5573.
This pair of guns were made by London Guns of Melbourne based on Greener Martini actions.
Calibre is 12 bore Nitro. Weight is 7 lbs and LOP is 14 ¼" for both guns. DAC is 1 ½", DAH is 2".

Both rifles feature matched exhibition grade stock and forend, with ivory forend cap,
skeleton grip cap and buttplate. Sights are express rear, with a front blade sight and
flip up moon sight.

This fine pair comes cased with all accessories and have done little work, if any.

DoubleD
(.400 member)
11/01/04 10:21 PM
Re: How about these Martini Takedowns

I drooled all over my self the first time I saw these, they are fabulous....except...I am not a big fan of white line spacers plastic or ivory....on the other hand if you were to present these to me as a gift, I could over come my bias and would humblely accept them.

Wow!

vigillinus
(.300 member)
12/01/04 06:46 PM

rear sights not far enough forwards

Bakes
(.375 member)
12/01/04 10:46 PM

Yeah yeah......They're still ONLY single shots

Hobie
(.224 member)
21/01/04 02:43 AM

Wow...

gryphon
(.450 member)
21/01/04 04:04 AM

'rear sights not far enough forwards'

The shorter the sighting plane the worse off for accuracy in my book..leave e`m where they are!

333_okh
(.275 member)
01/01/06 12:11 PM

Was this link originally talking about these rifles? If so, what Internet page did they come from? I originally used to check this page for rifles and shotguns and lost the link. I think it was Australian based?

This mannlicher also came from this site and I need to get the link back!

Marrakai
(.416 member)
01/01/06 12:55 PM

Those guns were at McDonalds Gunshop in Melbourne, here's the link:

http://www.mcdonaldsgunshop.com.au/

Also, John Saunders who had those Greeners made up still has a web-site:

http://www.centuryarms.com.au/

No offence, Gryph, but my eyes couldn't cope with a shallow vee express sight at the breech. I have a .500/.450 Express double which has the rear sight half-way down the barrel, and that's much better. If I can hit the pig silhouette at 100 yds with a revolver (sight radius 6 inches) I should have no trouble with a much steadier 10-lb rifle! If those Greeners were mine, I'd simply replace the vee with a neat low-profile tube-type ghost-ring peep.

DoubleD
(.400 member)
01/01/06 02:19 PM

Everytime I see those rifles I wanna say something about them, but I hold my tongue...not tonight...

If I were able to afford to buy them, I would take some additional money and invest in getting rid of the white bone/ivory/tenite what ever it is. It's very unappealing to me.

Marrakai
(.416 member)
01/01/06 03:58 PM

Ivory, DD, but it's not to my taste either. Give me buffalo horn anyday!

BTW Graham Greener had some harsh words to say about those guns apparently, doesn't believe they should be sold as Greener guns when Greener had nothing to do with them, other than make the original shotgun actions many decades ago. Perhaps he's just being conservative, but was strongly against the whole practice of making Greener shotguns into rifles. It might be a different story if that pair were reproved in the UK, but I strongly suspect they weren't going by who commissioned them!

In reply to:

I wanna say something about them, but I hold my tongue...

C'mon DD, spill ya guts!

500Nitro
(.450 member)
01/01/06 06:22 PM

The Greeners are very accurate but quite a handful to shoot.

Nicely made as well but not what I want to collect, shoot
and hunt with.

500 Nitro

DoubleD
(.400 member)
02/01/06 06:21 AM

I can understand Greeners concern since the front Receiver ring is split on the bottom.

With the thin chamber wall from the 12 Bore chamber and nothing but a 1/4 inch screw holding the sidewalls together this is not a strong set up.

Dunlap recommends a minimum wall thickness of 2/3 cartridge body diameter for smokeless rifle cartridges.

I don't know what the correct body diameter of the 12 bore rifle cartridge is, but a 12 guage shotgun shell is .883. That equates to a 2.058 diameter barrel cylinder. The body of my 12 guage Greener GP is only 1.310 wide. Okay for a shotgun shells but I don't know about a 12 Bore.

Marrakai
(.416 member)
02/01/06 12:25 PM

DD: Dunlap's recommendation of chamber-wall thickness assumes pressures in the order of 55,000 psi. Even for the nitro-proved 12-bore rifle cartridge, we're still only talking 10,000 psi to maybe 15,000 max.

Still, I fully agree with you on the split reciever. I have a nice GP take-down too, but it will remain a shotgun.

...or maybe a Paradox?!

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
07/01/06 02:00 AM

All I'm getting are red X and no pics.
Can anybody help ?
Al

new_guy
(Sponsor)
07/01/06 09:40 AM

i'm not even getting the red x.

Marrakai
(.416 member)
07/01/06 03:45 PM

333 OKH didn't leave them up for long, and they are long-gone from the McDonalds Gunshop inventory of course.

I'll see what I can do...

Marrakai
(.416 member)
07/01/06 03:48 PM

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
10/01/06 02:46 AM

Thankyou Tony.
Well worth looking at ..
Al

gryphon
(.450 member)
10/01/06 07:53 AM

bloody horrible looking beasts

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
11/01/06 04:10 AM

Absolutely beautiful rifles. Are those ivory forends?

Thanks for posting!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com