416rigby
(.300 member)
11/12/05 07:30 AM
Express sights for Ruger No.1

I've been looking for quite a while for express sights for my 416. I'd love to see some one make a folding leaf set up that fits the factory dovetail, or one that could be milled into the existing rib. Anyone know of any company offering something like this? A 3 leaf sight would look great. I don't want the peep that NECG makes because I still want to be able to use the scope.

Rick

Otto
(.300 member)
12/12/05 12:56 AM
Re: Express sights for Ruger No.1

Anyone with a milling machine can open the 3/8" dovetail in the Ruger 1/4 rib for the NECG express sight. Jeffs Outfitters also offers a couple of express sights. One caveat: The Ruger 1/4 rib is glass hard and must be annealed before machining...just heat it up and bury it in sand to slowly cool. Hope this helps.

Otto

akjeff
(.300 member)
31/12/05 12:03 PM

I'm in the process of scrapping the 1/4 rib altogether on my No.1 450 #2, and mount an NECG island sight over the front set of dowells. The rear dowells and screw hole, will need to be filled in, barrel re-polished & re-blued. It'll look a whole lot better than the rib, and I have zero plans to scope this beast anyways.
Just thought I'd throw an alternative your way.

Jeff

416rigby
(.300 member)
03/01/06 06:59 AM

Thanks...I want to keep the existing rib intact because I use the scope all the time...just want the irons as back up...and I think the "cool factor" would be high.

I may just have a smith make up a standing leaf for me.

Rick

akjeff
(.300 member)
03/01/06 08:37 AM

Understood,

I've thought about doing the same thing on my No.1's that I scope. It would look a whole lot better than the factory fold down leaf.

Jeff

davem3
(.300 member)
06/01/06 04:13 AM

I know this has been asked before but I can't seem to find it.
Approximately what is the angle of the "V" in the average express sight?
I only have one to measure but remember something around 135 degrees as a general rule. Dave

DarylS
(.700 member)
03/03/06 04:29 AM

Angles differ according to make from what I've seen. The German sights seem to be sharper angled compared to British sights, so the 'court' if open.
: I personally like a shallow "V" sight with a vertical silver line on it's face and corresponding ivory front bead.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com