NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
09/10/03 04:43 AM
Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards

Sorry gryphon. I missed your post and only just noticed your question.

Varieties we produce are:

Shiraz; Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, Semillon, Riesling; and Chenin Blanc.

Some of the 'chenin blanc' may actually be madeira or abillo, as we are not 100% sure of that old vineyard which dates back to 1930 and are now quite old and still bear relatively well most years. These grapes are excellent for white fortifieds and I hope to make something like that out of them. Currently they are made into a dry white blend and previously used as a "champagne" or white sparkling base.

Some of the grenache also dates to 1930 with the rest from 1960. The shiraz date from 1960, 1973, 1980's and the most recent planted only two and three years ago. The riesling is also from the 1970's and is very good considering it is planted on the valley floor. As you would know Eden Valley nearby makes the best rieslings in Australia (along with Clare).

This property has been owned by us since 1888 and the first vines were planted in the 1890's but no longer exist.

Even though the Barossa is of course "New World" it has the oldest vineyards in the world as phyloxera never entered Australia, but decimated the old vineyards of Europe, South Africa and North America, along with the Eastern States of Australia. I believe the oldest vineyards are at Turkey Flat near Tanunda and are in excess of 130 years old being planted in the 1870's.

Maybe someone could dispute this claim to the oldest vineyards ???? If so please do.

French still sauternes are not very successful here as it is not coldl enough early enough. I beileve some are successfully sourced from the Adelaide Hills in SA and obviously Victoria and Tasmania.

I wonder if Italian style "holy" or communion wines could be made though using their methods. These are very sweet white wines and are dried in attics of wineries. I tried some very nice ones near Montione in Tuscany. Very unlike the usual communion wines of Australia which are Tawny fortifieds ("Ports").

I would like to plant some Italian varieties, perhaps Sangiovese and more likely Nebbiolo. But only in a small way. These are usually lighter wines than the big bodied Aussie shiraz and cabernets but can be very nicely balanced. I tired perhaps a couple of hundred while in Italy

Mate, what's with you and Shiraz ? You need to drink more to appreciate them I think.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com