NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/11/21 11:35 PM
Re: Some pics from Carrara Vineyards

https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/e5e21a7498bb1380b81c1bd956f86de4

Rain, Rain, Rain! Yippee! Four days of rain forecast, from 20 mm to 60 mm. So far it has been gentle showers. Much needed drink for the vines, trees, plants.

Busy mowing down grasses this week, well and truly beyond time. A slightly wetter winter means I have Spring grasses as high as from my waist to neck high!

Colonel William Light an explorer and surveyor before settlement of the colony of South Australia remarked of this very locale, within a kilometre, that he was riding on his horse and over waist high in grass. It still can happen. Just need some moisture at the right times, and right amount, with no human interference. The Aboriginals used to burn off grasses in this area to reduce mosquitoes and encourage new grass for game and subsistence hunting. A nomadic hunting existence, they lived in these somewhat cooler region in Summer and the warmer Murray plains in Winter.

I DONT want heavy torrential rains, three or four inches of sudden rain, is an out of control flood. Steady good softer rains fill up the dams, creeks and rivers, and flow steadily. Never seen a breaking of a drought where there wasn't a massive flood! Six or so years ago, the last good wet year and had a damaging flood. In 1983 we had six inches in a few years and a huge flood, two years of cleaning it up. I stayed home to work with Dad for two years before starting University to help with the clean up. Don't need it again!

I do want cattle and meat sheep again. All this methane bs I am still going to eat beef and not pay $100 a kg for it when they tax beef with climate change taxes. Got a new property to stock as well. A bush block. Yippee. My dogs love it.

The grasses at least will hold the soils well if there is a flood. And flatten them. The biggest problem is debris. I even have thick green grasses in the river/creek beds. No sheep for a few years and no cattle for two decades. Rains a month or so ago enough to get the river/creek flowing, first time for six years, but only for a day, allowed this grass to grow. Should hold the river bed well.

Cutting down the tall grasses the moisture will allow lovely fresh green grasses to grow. The resident roos, rabbits and other critters will love it. And then more mowing! I seriously need an undervine mower now.

Cold days this week. About 10 deg C, which is Winter weather here. A few degrees less at night. And no frosts currently, all that moisture in the air and cloud cover means no frosts. Already have my frost damage from early Spring alas.

As one movie said, a movie paralleling our political times "V for Vendetta", :

"God is in the Rain".

Contact Us NitroExpress.com