NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
08/03/04 11:46 AM
Re: A love for Australian wines

Hey I'm not knocking Chatour Latour or Mouton-Rothschild, if you can afford them! I've tried the cheaper Cadet label of the Mouton-Rothschild. But I'm not going to mortgage the house to drink wine.

Another Barossa label I forgot is Henchke. Almost everything the make is good, some high priced though (relatively). The flagship there is "Hill of Grace" named after the nearby Lutheran church "Gnadenberg".

Their "Mount Edelstone" shiraz is alo extremely good.

Most of the wines I mentioned (except Hill of Grace and Grange - priced A$200 +) are in the range of A$20 to A$30 (eg Faith, Blackwell and Ebenezer), A$35 (Rockfords) and $A40 toA$80 (Old Block, Stonewell, E&E etc). 750 ml bottles.

If I could afford it I would drink nothing but these in a shiraz.

My cellar is my hallway which has one of each wall(s) cluttered with wine boxes and racks.

We aren't making our own wines yet, but experimented last year with good results from a limited run and again this year. I have two vineyards where I believe exceptional fruit is coming from, but I do not believe I am being paid for it. So am making some to prove that and hopefully will end up marketing some ourselves.

Just for fun I am learning winemaking on a basic level this year.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com