AspenHill
(Sponsor)
21/03/07 05:20 AM
Saffron

OK, cooks, I plan to begin production of saffron. I will be buying bulbs and growing them free range in my little valley here. With this area being quite popular with culinary arts I expect good sales when I am able to harvest enough.

What kinds of recipies have you used this plant in?

EricD
(.416 member)
22/03/07 10:34 PM
Re: Saffron

Ann,

I've often used saffron in various curry dishes. And also in a bouillabaisse I sometimes make. It's definately expensive stuff, but luckily you usually only use a tiny bit at a time.

I don't have any recipies to show you, as these dishes are usually made up as I go depending on what contents I have on hand.

Good luck with your saffron production!

Erik

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
22/03/07 10:50 PM

Paella with the rice.

Are you sure saffron grows in your climate?

AspenHill
(Sponsor)
23/03/07 11:38 AM

Yes, I am sure. I can mulch the bulbs or even take them up if needed. I have a southerly facing bank that will run planting zone 5 and saffron will survive. I am also going to do ginseng and look at some other types of renewable plants that will grow here.

AzGuy
(.333 member)
23/03/07 01:09 PM

You are not going "veggie" on us are you?

AspenHill
(Sponsor)
24/03/07 03:15 AM

Veggie? Ha! Good one, nope just want to make money off of them.

eljefedouble
(.300 member)
25/03/07 03:52 AM

Ann,
saffron here in India and subcontinent is used often in Paella equivalent, called Biryani.also in various 'heavy' curries'If you've ever eaten out in an Indian restaurant, ask for Murg Musallam -which is chicken cooked in a major blizzard of butter and a slew of spices-now you get the idea?
USe must be prudent as it is an acquired taste, and an OD will give a strong aftertaste and mask the rest of the ingredients.
An infusion/tea is touted to be good for upper respiratory tract infections, colds etc by practitioners of Indian medicine.
usual technique for Biryani is to soak a few strands in half a glass of hot milk for about 30-40 min and add it to the the concoction of rice + other ingredients when rice is in final stage of cooking.
You can also use this milk+ saffron or Hotwater and saffron in other meat cooking.Sorry am not a vegetarian!
best,
Axx

Yochanan
(.375 member)
06/04/07 07:05 AM

Ann,
I use saffron in cakes, pancakes and with various soups, stews, risottos etc. It's a must for Persian pilaf rice

Saffron is a very time consuming crop to harvest.

Cheers
Johan

Contact Us NitroExpress.com