xausa
(.400 member)
02/09/13 02:39 AM
Re: Hunting in Bulgaria

I hunted wild boar in Bulgaria with a German hunting party in February of 1970. An interesting peek behind the Iron Curtain at the time. Lots of wild boar, as advertised.

We flew into Sofia and breezed through customs with all our rifles and ammunition, then transferred into a Russian version of a DC-3 for the trip to the hunting area near the Black Sea. We were lodged in what was probably a seaside resort in the summer, but was totally vacant in the winter (as was the little airport we flew into).

The reason we were greeted like long lost brothers was that we were "Devisenbringer" (bringers of hard currency). Good hunting, but pretty strenuous for someone my present age, lots of up and down hill walking involved. Presumably the conditions are less primitive these days.

The other memories include the overwhelming smell of garlic in the bus, while being transported to the location of the drive with the local drivers, and the murderous quality of the local wine and its high resin content. Probably the worst hangover I have ever experienced, and on the first day of the hunt as well!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com