9.3x57
(.450 member)
10/02/20 12:11 AM
Re: Leupold Hate

Quote:

Leupold scopes are well regarded here in Australia as they are price competitive, have a huge range, are generally lighter than the European scopes, still have a range of scopes with small objective lenses and 1" tubes and are the only optics maker in Australia to have fully accredited service center which is operated by the importer Nioa. All that plus a good warranty makes them hard to beat.

For me there are only two negatives, the finish is a little to matt for me, the Europeans seems to be a able to get a slightly more satin finish which in my opinion is nicer. The other is the lack of scopes with a No.4 or 4A reticle which of course doesn't worry the Americans however all my scopes have a No.4 or 4A reticle and I like to keep them all the same. For me that reticle is by far the best.

Obviously those two issues are only my personal choices and don't affect the reliability or quality of the scope in a any way.

Matt.

They do make a German 4A reticle and...I hate it.

It has a "fine" crosshair that is WAY too thick. I can't remember the specs on what it subtends but it's a joke.

I still have two so set up and really don't like them, but wound up putting them on closer range rifles where the thing won't be problematic. For such applications they are not bad, and actually allow fast target acquisition, but what I like in a German #4 is the combination of thick and fine whereby the target can be acquired very fast and naturally centered using the thick posts but if very fine precision is needed, the fine hairs are there for that. Leupold IMO messed up in this reticle design.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com