NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
09/07/19 12:58 PM
Re: New Landrover Defender maker

Quote:

Rebuilding your box is not that expensive, that's if it actually needs a rebuild. Most don't need looking at until about 350000 km's and even then it is normally only second gear syncro. The bearings are massive and even after 500000 they are still in good condition.

Matt.

Good to read. I don't plan to do anything about it soon. Hopefully it does not give up suddenly somewhere in the Flinders Ranges, an hour or two from a track, or the middle of the NT somewhere!

An RAA mechanic took my 'cruiser for a test drive. I had a morning drive in peak hour traffic one morning, where the engine repeatedly decided to stall and turn off unexpectedly, eg when slowing down approaching a red light, changing down gears, or even changing up gears. Had to keep the revs up and constantly or it would stall. Annoying. But thankfully always started up again straight away.

Called the RAA when at my city house. He marginally increased the timing, and no problems since then. He said the gearbox sounded like it had some issues. I can't hear or feel anything. Will ask my mechanic next service what he thinks. Need a new mechanic though. Can have my vehicle sit in his shop for 3 weeks or 3 months again like the last two times ...

A problem in our world is even a guy like this is much in demand, with lots of trucks and other diesel vehicles. Good mechanics are overworked, even if the are sometimes a bit of a ffffaround ... So many mechanics are crooks and hopeless! My B-I-L has a large rural dealership and mechanic shop, and I sometimes use them. Mostly for my tractors. Not cheap. No family rate!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com