Ripp
(.577 member)
27/02/19 01:55 AM
Re: Help for hearing protection

Quote:

I personally never use hearing protection when hunting as I want to hear everything naturally and I am lucky that my hearing is still excellent, and as you are directly behind the gun or rifle when shooting the noise is not significant anyway, especially as I hunt mostly by myself. When at the range I always wear hearing protection and I use a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs which work very well and have minimum interference with the butt stock. At work I wear hearing protection for the slightest loud noise and always have, which is why I believe my hearing is still good.

Matt.

Hey Matt..

I smiled reading your post.. "my hearing is still excellent".. THAT is what I thought until I took a hearing test at the Great Alaska Outdoor Show last spring.. guy looked at me and said you must be one of 3 people.. 1, grew up on a farm and ran a lot of tractors as a kid.. 2. you have shot a lot of firearms with no protection..3 Heavy equipment operator...

I am 2 out of 3 in my lifetime.. I still feel like I hear well, especially out of my right ear as I shoot right handed.. and, a dillhole fired off a 270 once with the barrel very near my left ear.. pretty sure he learned his lesson after he picked himself back off the ground..yes, I was pissed..

I agree with some of the other posts.. I like the ones that are custom molded to your ears.. expensive but how much do you value your hearing???

When shooting handgun I use foams in the ear and electronic muffs over the top..I use the same combo when at the rifle range ..double protection.. plan to keep what I have left..

I did buy a pair you can hang around your neck while hunting..thin.. don't really notice they are there..if you have time to set up for the shot, certainly help... https://www.opticsplanet.com/walkers-gam...efb564e53072b9c

I suggest going to a good audiologist in your area.. have them fit a pair to you..give them a try..

Contact Us NitroExpress.com