NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
08/04/18 07:59 PM
Re: Red dot sight questions

Of interest. Have been in town this week and had a look at some items of interest. Very small selection only available and gunshops which can't even be bothered to have batteries to power their red dot scopes. I wonder why they can't sell anything?

Looked at a Aimpoint H@ Micro and overall seems not bad. The 2 MOA red dot I find completely inadequate and way too small for the eye. While I think a 2 MOA dot is maximum say for 100 metre or more rifle shooting, it is way to small to use and hard to see. As for using with a shotgun, wouldn't even consider it.

For a shotgun I think a full 7 MOA would be desired. But way to big for accurate rifle shooting. I would have a look at a 3.5 MOA dot just for the sake of it. Perhaps it is a little better than the 2 MOA dot.

I think these Aimpoint Micro sights are only for very close shooting purposes and need a bigger dot for quick shooting.

Price at the gunshop was from memory A$800 or A$900 which is expensive for such a simple sight IMO.

NEXT ...

Had a look at a Leupold variable scope supposedly with an illuminated reticle but no batteries so that is going to stay on the shelf forever is my guess ... and it did look old already ... reckon that was $A800 as well. Last time I looked at a illuminated Leupold at that shop they had a $1500 scope, which could be bought for $800 elsewhere ...

NEXT ...

at a another gun shop - "those sorts of scopes cost $800 or more, we don't stock that sort of stuff ..." I wonder why everyone buys off the internet nowadays, when a local shop won't stock decent stuff? The earlier shop did have Swarovski and other good brands and a better selection. Know where to go nowadays for a scope, as long as a $2 battery is not required for displaying a $1000 plus valued scope for sale ...

BUT did buy a scope at the second gun shop, see next post.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com