Rule303
(.416 member)
29/11/17 09:22 AM
Re: While on 'sporting equipment' a ME109G-6

Just a bit of technical background. Of the three main adversaries in the Battle of Brittan the Hurricane had the tightest turning circle,then the 109 then the Spit. However the 109's wing was basically bolted to the fuselage with 4 bolts and if you pulled to tight you could separate the wing from the fuselage. The better German pilots knew how far to push the plane but most did not push as hard as the plane would allow. Hence the belief the Spit could in turn a 109. Rate of roll I am not sure of however, the Spits improved when they replaced the fabric covered control surfaces with aluminum.

The 109 had leading edge slats. These pop open when the airspeed over the wing in near stall speed, hence decrease the stall speed. This was very advanced for its day and meant the 109 would not enter a high speed stall as soon as other comparable aircraft. High speed stall means pulling high G's at any speed and the lower wing moving slower stalls first and flicks the plane into a vicious spin, normally requiring several thousand feet for a low wing aircraft to recover.

The G version of the BF109 is my favorite of all 109's. It just looks right.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com