Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
25/11/17 08:47 PM
Re: Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!

Absolutely wonderful!

I once (2012) had the opportunity to ride in a 1941 Stearman biplane from Dillingham Field, Oahu, along one of the paths taken by the first wave of Imperial Japanese 'visitors' over Wheeler Field, and on to Pearl Harbor. The view on approach to Pearl was much as would have been seen by the first wave of low level dive bombers on 07 December, 1941, but for only one WW2 era battleship - the U.S.S. Arizona at its final resting place.

On return to Oahu's North Shore and Opana Point (where the invaders were first spotted on that newfangled R.A.D.A.R. thingamajig) we did aerobatics (loops, rolls, stall, invert flight) over the famed 'Pipeline'. There's nothing quite like watching surfers shoot the curls by looking up while you're flying invert over them.

It was a wonderful, beautiful, delightfully rude machine. Oil and avgas spit mixed with the cool Hawaiian air and mist that blasted one's cap and goggles, rather like a wild Willys Jeep ride in 3-D (I drive a '46 Willys with hot rodded 225 Buick V6).

I'd recommend it to anyone!

Oh, and by the way...

That's the shuttle, Endeavour, being towed to its final destination in Los Angeles, passing by Randy's Donuts (a former Big Donut store).

Contact Us NitroExpress.com