pamtnman
(.275 member)
28/10/17 02:25 AM
Re: Best TSA-OK DR travel case?

Sorry, John, I do not know or see how to upload photos here. I would otherwise post some of the simple modifications I made to the TuffPak. It is the 1049, the older model of the current 1050. Only difference between them is the 1049 has high ridges of plastic around the lock area, to protect it from hits. When you install the padlockable thumb turn cam lock, some of that protective plastic surrounding the lock area has to be removed. I used a Dremel with a wood router bit and then a course grinding stone, finally a fine grinding stone, removing just barely enough for the cam handle to turn. It looks good and works great. The padlock fits through the cam handle, which cannot be turned unless the lock is removed. getting the right size padlock made a difference. Something robust enough to deter theft but not so big as to really dangle off the end and invite a natural mechanical snag or blow that could damage the arrangement. The Masterlock I found fit perfectly into the protective grooves, and I got a four-pack so I had extras in case something went wrong or TSA just "had to" cut one off. One was on the TuffPak, one was in my carry-on bag, and two padlocked shut the small Pelican ammo case inside the TuffPak. Both keys to all four locks were in a zip pocket in my pants at all times.
The padlockable thumb turn cam lock is easily available online and locally. I paid $8.00. TuffPak's manufacturer will sell you one for $75, and install it for another $75. So it makes sense to do it yourself.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com