NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
05/05/17 03:58 PM
Re: Wanted advice on a new Sat Phone

Optus does not mention Iridium at all.

By incorporating optical fibre, wireless and satellite technologies into a single network, Optus can provide 100% coverage across Australia and New Zealand. Optus is the only carrier in Australia to own and operate network infrastructure across these three platforms, giving us a unique network to help keep you in touch.

Plus they mention Thuraya phones as well.

No idea if the different networks each need a separate phone.

http://www.optus.com.au/business/broadba...-talk/satsleeve

I see the sleeve clips onto a phone and uses wifi to connect to it.

Has a separate memory card, $15 per month charge. Costs about $900 and $1 per minute within Australia which isn't bad except for the purchase price. $6.50 + per minute cost for use internationally.

The per month cost adds up if only using one or twice every year or two, but paying per month. Assuming IF one does not need to if data allowance works on Iridium phones with a Telstra card. VERSUS whatever the Telstra global roaming charges might be ...

Monthly charges can be suspended:

Quote:

Can I suspend my SatSleeve service when I am not travelling or not using it for a while?

Once you have activated your service, you will be charged $15 for that month plus any usage charges and you will continue to pay $15 plus usage charges for each month your service remains activated. If you are no longer travelling outside of coverage areas and therefore do not need to be paying for this service, you may choose to suspend your account. It is free of charge to suspend your account and you will no longer be paying the $15 a month plus usage. It is then also free to resume your account and after resumption you will begin to pay the $15 a month once again. If you are looking to suspend or resume your SatSleeve service, please click here to download the Thuraya Service Form.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com