Ripp
(.577 member)
25/08/16 02:17 AM
Re: Swarovski New Z8 model vs Zeiss Victory comparison

Quote:

I'm glad they now make a Z8.

That way the second hand Z6's that people had to have with drop in price substantially when the same people have to have the Z8's.

I have found the ancient old non illuminated 1 1/2-6's actually affordable recently for the first time. )
Must have had anyway as found I had purchased one, forgot from whom (!) or when (!). Think it was from a forum member. But found it in the cupboard. I think it was supposed to go on my .375 H&H, and I was supposed to get some Warne or Kimber 30mm rings for it.

I do think a Z8 1-8x illuminated scope would be nice though. A perfect scope in my opinion starts at close to true 1x, and 8x is a pretty big magnification IMO for 99% of hunting.

The MAJOR issue I see with these scopes is their exessive size and weight.

One can get the models that are reasonably light in weight..the Z6 2.5-15x44-p-l is around 19 ounces..I use the Z5 3.5-18 x44 Sheep Hunter model on my mtn rifles --it is actually 15.9 oz..which is as light or lighter than most..up to this point they have held up very well to that type of hunting..slips, horses, etc...Agree there are some models out there that are heavier but for a hunting rifle I refuse to use them..dont mind it on a target rifle at the range, but will not lug that extra weight around the mtn side ..no need..

The Zeiss Victory models are heavier and one of the main reasons I have not used them on my hunting rigs..I have used the Conquest models which are lighter but the optic clarity is no where near the quality of the Z5 Swaro..frankly, to my eyes, the Leupolds in VX-3 or VX-6 are better optically than the Zeiss Conquest models..the one issue Zeiss has on its side is their rapid Z system..works remarkably well in all 3 of the rifles I have them on...240 Weatherby, 26 Nosler, and 280AI. Just wish the clarity was a bit better..and YES, these are their HD versions...

I asked Swarovski why they didnt have a similar system and was told Zeiss or someone has a patent on that and as such, its cost prohibitive to use it, so they come up with their own version. While it still works, its not as straightforward and quick, IMHO, as the Zeiss Rapid-Z program.

Ripp

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com