EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
02/09/14 05:45 AM
Re: A different sort of Landrover Defender

I love the fold down window screens. Awhile back a sort of Father/Son project got out of hand (in a good way). I took my then 13 year old son to see the movie District 9, which was filmed in South Afrika, and while the plot may be a science fiction thinly veiled attempt to comment on Apartheid and Private Military Corporations, it was good fun to watch.

Many of the vehicles are Toyota Hilux outfitted with gun mounts and window screens. On the way home from the movie, I got the, "Gee Dad do you think we could build a truck like in the movie....?"

After a lot of searching I failed to find any suitable Pick Ups (the Hilux isn't available in the US); so I went in search of other options. I looked at the Hummer H2, but my son was quick to point out the sunroof was in a poor spot if we were going to mount a machine gun on it... So we kept looking and settled on a Jeep Wrangler, for a sort of Rat Patrol/ SAS Desert Jeep build.

While searching for a suitable Wrangler, I stumbled onto one with Right Hand Drive! which is a big deal here in the US. Off came the hard top and a MG pedestal mount was fabricated to mesh with the roll cage (until the zombies come out...). I added a snorkel and filled the back with Jerry Can mounts. Six foot long Sand plates (in case we got stuck) were ordered, then I discovered I needed a place to mount them-Im still working on that. A rear facing mount for twin AKs was fitted to the rear bumper, and a swing arm for the front passenger to mount a Barrett M82a1 50BMG was contemplated, till I realized the brass would eject directly onto the driver (meeeeee)-have to re think that.

To make it more Land Roverish a second spare tire was added to the hood. A "Get into and Outta Dodge" vehicle needs commo, so I added a CB and a few more high tech options.

The beauty of Right Hand Drive, is the driver can shoot and drive at the same time if necessary, so dash mounts for the Sterling SMG and ARs are in the works.

You cant have a glossy Road Warrior so a new paint colour was needed. I finally found a painter that would do FLAT paint, and an appropriate tan was found.

After some arguments with the folks at the Motor Vehicle Administration about personalized license plates using foreign language words (profanity)-who knew the SODs at the MVA would google my choice of an Afrikaans comment about your mother's lady parts???? (MA SE P____), so I settled on USUTO (I guess the Zulu escaped them).

I'll post pics as soon as I can figure how...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com