MikeRowe
(.333 member)
03/07/13 01:07 PM
Re: A different sort of Landrover Defender

Hedgehogs? Are they the same as spiders?

I spent much of my childhood in one of Dad's three Landrovers. He didn't have them all at once, thank God, we couldn't have found enough replacement axles. They were really good in a downpour of rain - at least the wind wasn't blowing quite so hard inside. I got my driver's licence with the transfer case locked in high range 4wd running on front wheel drive. We had pulled the broken piece of that particular rear axle out and left it in the bush.

I remember once when he got a new Nissan Patrol, he'd put about 100k on it, and he was peering underneath, and marvelling at the total absence of oil leaks. The comment was that a Landrover would have been leaking out of every seam at 15k.

A friend of mine in TN bought a new Defender a few years ago, and drove it home. Fluid was pouring out of the power steering pump. He called the salesman, who told him they could put a new one on, but it'd be leaking again in a couple of weeks. Just the way they were, he said. He drives Landcruisers now.

There's another member here who has seen the light, and also gone the Landcruiser route......

Contact Us NitroExpress.com