(.400 member)
03/07/13 03:47 AM
Re: A different sort of Landrover Defender

Covered in Line-X.

MikeRowe
(.333 member)
03/07/13 08:40 AM

I wonder if that one leaks oil like the factory ones.......

Caprivi
(.375 member)
03/07/13 12:22 PM

Pretty cool, a bit of MadMax and Rhodesian Bush war rolled into one. Add some hedgehogs around the roof and it is set.

I would hope it leaks Mike, what is the sense of Landie that doesn't leak, not start, not stop, hang up in 3rd gear, .....etc........:):):)

MikeRowe
(.333 member)
03/07/13 01:07 PM

Hedgehogs? Are they the same as spiders?

I spent much of my childhood in one of Dad's three Landrovers. He didn't have them all at once, thank God, we couldn't have found enough replacement axles. They were really good in a downpour of rain - at least the wind wasn't blowing quite so hard inside. I got my driver's licence with the transfer case locked in high range 4wd running on front wheel drive. We had pulled the broken piece of that particular rear axle out and left it in the bush.

I remember once when he got a new Nissan Patrol, he'd put about 100k on it, and he was peering underneath, and marvelling at the total absence of oil leaks. The comment was that a Landrover would have been leaking out of every seam at 15k.

A friend of mine in TN bought a new Defender a few years ago, and drove it home. Fluid was pouring out of the power steering pump. He called the salesman, who told him they could put a new one on, but it'd be leaking again in a couple of weeks. Just the way they were, he said. He drives Landcruisers now.

There's another member here who has seen the light, and also gone the Landcruiser route......

Caprivi
(.375 member)
03/07/13 01:41 PM

Hedgehogs? Are they the same as spiders?

Maybe ??? ....... 3 to 5 fingered attachment of short 20mm gas pipe, stuffed them with SSG 12 bore. The contraption was held up with a latch and thru various different "Rhodesian Engineering" methods would fire on command. Most I have seen had a barn door hinge and 3 tubes. They where held up with a gate latch, 1 setup on each corner of cab. A cable connected them. When a farmer ran into a "spot" of trouble you yanked the cable, the "Hedgehogs" dropped down to about nipple high level where as the primers of the SSG contacted nails on a backplate.

Makes a Hell of a racket in the cab. Quite messy outside as well for the "by-standers" as I seem to remember.

The dandy's in Salisbury had quite nice 5-8 finger ones of about a dozen around the rim of the roof of Daddy's shiny Series IIa......Best Quality Hedgies on your Landie ??????

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
03/07/13 02:37 PM

Quote:

When a farmer ran into a "spot" of trouble you yanked the cable, the "Hedgehogs" dropped down to about nipple high level where as the primers of the SSG contacted nails on a backplate.

One wouldn't want to hit a bad bump on those "smooth" Rhodesian roads, would one?

This vehicle seems to be setup for riots, seeing it was re-made in South Africa, or maybe Zombies or something ....

MikeRowe
(.333 member)
03/07/13 10:26 PM

The last place I would want to be stuck in during a riot is a Landrover. It may not start...

ozhunter
(.400 member)
03/07/13 11:04 PM

Yes, the same as a spider.

StephenCoker
(.300 member)
04/07/13 07:43 AM

I think I saw that at the Dallas Safari Club show this past January. I just wish they would have chosen a different platform to customize on!

"Land Rover: A great design built by people who don't care, using parts and process with nonexistent quality control."

or

"Land Rover: for when you want to get there; Land Cruiser: for when you also need to get back!"

Mike, you should have also told them about the gaping hole in the floor of that new Defender!

I don't think I have room to list all the stuff that went wrong with my Series I Discovery. The amount of fluid that leaked out of that thing is hard to comprehend. I've seen the light, and am a die-hard Land Cruiser man now. The experience has been the polar opposite of Land Rover ownership. Now, if we could only get the turbo-diesels available in the US.

MikeRowe
(.333 member)
04/07/13 08:34 AM

Everyone should, at least once in their life, be part of the Landrover "experience".

I'm told it builds character.......

Caprivi
(.375 member)
04/07/13 11:30 AM

Old Landie's intrigue me from there nostalgic standpoint. Ownership is a whole other matter. Now a Land cruiser, I believe I could indeed be swayed there. Actually looking for a mid 2000's Tundra in a decent affordable condition, for when my finances make a upswing.

Here is something up on the cool factor for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FJ45LV-/141008268525?forcev4exp=true

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
04/07/13 06:15 PM

Quote:

Everyone should, at least once in their life, be part of the Landrover "experience".

I'm told it builds character.......

An Uncle of my wife owns at least fifteen of them, probably a lot more by now, seeing that number was from 20 years ago ... he loves them ... they are almost all wrecks in a paddock.

Clark
(.275 member)
30/07/13 12:43 AM

As a contrast to the above, here is our workhorse on the farm, from -87, 200.000 miles on the clock, have never failed to start:

And this is mine, a lot newer, a -02 TD5:

Of course, it's hard to keep the water out and the oil in, but they do work for most of the time. They are easy to fix, the parts are dirt cheap and they have a lot of charm. Even the newer ones are quite simple without a lot of unnecessary electronics. They need a bit love and care of course, but that is true to old, fine rifles as well .

/C

Claydog
(.375 member)
01/08/13 01:00 PM

Of course spare parts are cheap, mass production always produces lower costs.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
15/07/14 09:55 PM

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
16/07/14 04:56 AM

Quote:

And this is mine, a lot newer, a -02 TD5:

Clark,

A nice looking and very functional looking vehicle.

Kano
(.300 member)
31/08/14 02:36 AM

This ia a Good Land Rover. Toyota 1HDT engine and gearbox... Belongs to a friend of mine.

Lutz
(.224 member)
01/09/14 06:24 PM

Another TD5:

EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
02/09/14 05:45 AM

I love the fold down window screens. Awhile back a sort of Father/Son project got out of hand (in a good way). I took my then 13 year old son to see the movie District 9, which was filmed in South Afrika, and while the plot may be a science fiction thinly veiled attempt to comment on Apartheid and Private Military Corporations, it was good fun to watch.

Many of the vehicles are Toyota Hilux outfitted with gun mounts and window screens. On the way home from the movie, I got the, "Gee Dad do you think we could build a truck like in the movie....?"

After a lot of searching I failed to find any suitable Pick Ups (the Hilux isn't available in the US); so I went in search of other options. I looked at the Hummer H2, but my son was quick to point out the sunroof was in a poor spot if we were going to mount a machine gun on it... So we kept looking and settled on a Jeep Wrangler, for a sort of Rat Patrol/ SAS Desert Jeep build.

While searching for a suitable Wrangler, I stumbled onto one with Right Hand Drive! which is a big deal here in the US. Off came the hard top and a MG pedestal mount was fabricated to mesh with the roll cage (until the zombies come out...). I added a snorkel and filled the back with Jerry Can mounts. Six foot long Sand plates (in case we got stuck) were ordered, then I discovered I needed a place to mount them-Im still working on that. A rear facing mount for twin AKs was fitted to the rear bumper, and a swing arm for the front passenger to mount a Barrett M82a1 50BMG was contemplated, till I realized the brass would eject directly onto the driver (meeeeee)-have to re think that.

To make it more Land Roverish a second spare tire was added to the hood. A "Get into and Outta Dodge" vehicle needs commo, so I added a CB and a few more high tech options.

The beauty of Right Hand Drive, is the driver can shoot and drive at the same time if necessary, so dash mounts for the Sterling SMG and ARs are in the works.

You cant have a glossy Road Warrior so a new paint colour was needed. I finally found a painter that would do FLAT paint, and an appropriate tan was found.

After some arguments with the folks at the Motor Vehicle Administration about personalized license plates using foreign language words (profanity)-who knew the SODs at the MVA would google my choice of an Afrikaans comment about your mother's lady parts???? (MA SE P____), so I settled on USUTO (I guess the Zulu escaped them).

I'll post pics as soon as I can figure how...

EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
02/09/14 06:25 AM

....and its a daily driver too

Snorkel, Spare tire, Hi lift jack, and Antenna

Right Hand Drive

Sterling

Pedestal mount

Dumprat
(.300 member)
02/09/14 09:21 AM

Not to be rude, but the spare in that position makes it very hard to see out the already small windshield.

Just because it looks cool doesn't mean it works.

Dumprat
(.300 member)
02/09/14 09:23 AM

http://youtu.be/vSlinNcEDGs
This one is mine. It works quite well.

EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
02/09/14 04:54 PM

Quote:

Not to be rude, but the spare in that position makes it very hard to see out the already small windshield.

Yeah, Ive heard that complaint but its not a problem at least for me. So not only does it look cool BUT it works too.

My biggest problem is the jack placement on the hood blocks the washer fluid spray.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
03/09/14 08:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, Ive heard that complaint but its not a problem at least for me. So not only does it look cool BUT it works too.

My biggest problem is the jack placement on the hood blocks the washer fluid spray.

I found the spare on the bonnet to be the most comfortable seat in the rig. Spent many miles in that position hunting frncolin, guinea fowl and monkeies in Zaire/Cong back in 1980.

Dumprat
(.300 member)
03/09/14 02:22 PM

Might work on a landie but the jeep doesn't have the relief in the hood to drop the spare down enough.

EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
04/09/14 07:10 AM

Quote:

Might work on a landie but the jeep doesn't have the relief in the hood to drop the spare down enough.

Well it works just fine for ME and since you don't have one on YOUR jeep, maybe just maybe I (as in the guy who DOES have one mounted on MY Jeep), just might have a better idea what works for ME. Bro I can appreciate that you may not like it, and I can understand that you might not think it should work, and Hell, I can even accept that you may be to short or have some other deformity keeping you from being able to see past it BUT as I said it works for ME.

You might have noticed, I didn't bad mouth your driving in the video you posted, or even said anything bad about your jeep, so maybe you could do me the same courtesy. Youre certainly welcome to your opinion; but when you make statements that call your intelligence into question, well people just snicker at you. When you make statements based on NO experience with the product your condemning, you sound like a liberal politician, running for election.

So whats the chance you could just keep your opinions about things of which you have no knowledge, to yourself OR if the anonymity of your keyboard continues to embolden you, beyond the reasonable, then maybe you could at least admit you've never seen what youre complaining about; but still don't like it.

To anyone else who is still reading, my apologies for the above; suffice to say reveling in one's ignorance offends me, all the more so when its pointed out repeatedly, and as in THIS case where I have said "it works for me" and "its a daily driver". So again my apologies to all who are able to understand.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
04/09/14 07:34 AM

Only problem I had with the bonnet/hood mount was it made the bonnet/hood awful heavy to left to check the oil.

Dumprat
(.300 member)
04/09/14 08:39 AM

Wow sorry I touched a nerve! My point was that it cause a decrease in vision.

And any time you would like to try and follow me you let me know. Lol. Watch the rest of the vids on my u tube channel if you like. The same stretch of trail. I made it easy. Couple of guys broke and some pulled winch line.

MikeRowe
(.333 member)
04/09/14 12:28 PM

The last two of Dad's three Landrovers he had when I was growing up (before he saw the light and bought a Nissan Patrol) had the spares on the bonnet. I'm not real tall, but never found it to be a problem in the bush. If we didn't see it, we probably just ran over it anyway....

The Landrover Experience not only builds character, it builds muscle mass, doing otherwise simple tasks like checking the oil. The easiest way is just to look underneath, if there are no fresh pools of oil, it probably needs to be topped off.

BTW Edelweiss (and I mean this most respectfully, albeit with tongue in cheek), did I notice a couple of drips of oil on the concrete under your Jeep? You may walk out there one morning and find it has morphed into a Landrover!

9.3x57
(.450 member)
04/09/14 01:13 PM

The Landrover 110 I owned in RSA never had any oil leaks.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
(.333 member)
04/09/14 01:37 PM

I have a 2004 Land Rover and it is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned .I will never buy anything else again

Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
04/09/14 03:44 PM

Quote:

The Landrover 110 I owned in RSA never had any oil leaks.

That's because it had all leaked away.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com