Yogi000
(.333 member)
05/12/07 08:30 AM
Re: 12 ga round ball?

Tatume---

Actually, what I am planning to do with my recent 12 gauge double barrel acquisition may be of benefit here---

I bought a 50 year old Russell Arms side by side with 18 inch long barrels with modified and full chokes that was most recently used as a very successful cowboy shooter. The gun has spent most of its life shooting low brass.

I am investigating the concept of loading up lower charged slugs for this. The plan is to use light slugs that weigh 7/8 oz or less (maybe even 5/8 oz which is still a 275 grain projectile!) and marry this with a lower dram charge, similar to a recipe used for cowboy shooting. They generally shoot 1 oz of #6 shot. I plan to use a patch and/or 12 gauge plastic carriage to hold the slug centered in the tubes similar in approach to the Sabot carrier.

As a fall back option I "may" actually use 20 gauge slugs and center those in the 12 gauge plastic carriers.

The defining moments will be after my gunsmith thoroughly checks the gun out and gives me the okay or thumbs down and the actually measured diameters of the bores and muzzles, along the length of the chokes. I have found that the actual measurements of chokes varies wildy and one marked modified measures IC and a full choke measures at a modified.

The actual numbers mean everything.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com