DarylS
(.700 member)
20/07/07 04:44 AM
Re: singleshot action for gauge calibers

Way to go four five ough (Wayne). I used up to 7 drams in my double 12 with 24" (or maybe 26"??) tubes with round balls. The increase in recoil was memorable and although accuracy was supurb, the recoil was a bit too much in the light gun. I found that by using 4756 and 7625, I could match the speed and accuracy with hardly more recoil than standard slug loads, very easy to shoot.
; Sorry about the link to track. I just checked and bore brass is no longer listed, that I could find, anyway. I've sent an e-mail requesting confirmation on stock of that item.
: I should think that those who can get Hodgdon's Longshot powder, should try it out. Hodgdon's data lists 1-1/4 ounce shot loads to be pushed close to 1,600fps at failry low pressure of around 8,000psi. If that is so, then 1,600fps is easily available to us using solid round balls. One need only adjust the wad column to compensate for proper crimp, whatever one is using.
: NOTE - As with any handloading of ammunition, one must start low and 'develop' ones own data as to how the pressure is developed and handled by one's own firearm. Use of someone else's data without first 'developing' up to it, may not the a safe way to load. Be careful out there.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com