DarylS
(.700 member)
10/04/07 02:00 AM
Re: 12 bore bullets or molds

Wayne - sounds very good. I know Hogdon rifle powders are made there - how about the shotgun powders? I think it's 'Longshot' listed in loading manuals for shot loads, shows velocities to 1,585fps with 1-1/4oz(or more) shot. Even at that high velocity, I think they were loaded to 11,000PSI, which is still well under max pressure in a typical modern shotgun. This powder should do well with RB loads in a modern shotgun or nitro proofed paradox gun.
; A .715" ball of pure lead weighs 545gr., which is 1-1/4 ounces, so the .724" ball should weigh perhaps 580gr. Drop about 30gr. to 40gr. for WW alloy.
; Remember that the normal paradox load was doing roughly 1,300fps, same as the standard 12 bore load. The heavy 12 bore load, using 190gr. black powder, did just over 1,500fps. That 1,500fps kicks pretty hard in an 8 pound gun, but can be duplicated with smokeless powder(in nitro guns) which kicks about 1/2 (or less) as hard - seems incredible to see the same velocity readings on the chronograph, with so little recoil. The BP loads will get your attention & FEEL so much more powerful. What they do, is to throw copious amounts of smoke andthe recoil gives the feeling of immense power - which is fun in itself. Perhaps the BP loads show us the 'real' power. I do know the game feels it too.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com