DarylS
(.700 member)
30/01/07 03:06 AM
Re: 12 bore bullets or molds

.724" should weigh almost 600gr. in Ww metal and well over that in pure lead.
: People 'poo poo' the RB as you say, Yogi, due to lack of knowledge and of merely repeating 'things' they hear, as in "punkin balls are inaccurate". Before one can honestly say these things and bear listening to, they must try them out to the best they can offer, then make a decision. Same goes for the current 'trend' to bash the .458 WMag.
: Factory loaded in shotshells as a .690" diameter in a 12 bore was the main cause for round balls being inaccurate, along with the use of normal card wads. The card wads don't hold the ball in the middle of the bore, so it bounces back and forth in it's travel down the bore, hense inaccurate flight.
: With plastic cup wad bases facing forwards, the smaller balls can be accurate as the cup holds the ball in the middle. This is the method I used and it works. Cut-down steel shot wads are possibly really good for this, as much heavier built and they're stronger. My RB success was with range pickup at the trap club. The don't have to be pretty to work. I put one cup down on the powder, one cup up to hold the ball centred. I used cards or fire inbetween depending on the column needed to get proper crimp height. Standard star crimps worked for me.
: A solid round ball is very much superior to a hollow based 'Foster' slug in penetrative power.
: A .724" ball will exit a moose if driven at 1,500fps. For such a large surface to punch thorugh that elastic hide on the far side, is really somthing and demonstrates wonderful penetration, something most modern expanding rifle bullets won't do, even with their higher velocities and much smaller diameters.
: I tell you, there is little in the modern ctg. line, that staggers a big game animal like a 12 bore round ball. They are rather decisive. The big "WHOK" when they hit is really something to hear.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com