Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
04/12/23 06:21 PM
Re: 12-bore shotguns, paradox, Explora, rifles

H&H made 12 bore Paradox's in several charge weights including different Magnum loads, in both black powder and Nitro. Consequently they were made in different gun weights to suit the different loads, the heavier the charge the heavier the weight of the gun. The Nitro Magnum guns with the heaviest charge were made using Double Rifle actions and had back action locks, as well as 2 3/4 chambers. Obviously this defeated the initial design of the original paradox which was to have a light well balanced shotgun that could effectively shoot a Fosberry projectile to 100 yards, however the heavier guns were made due to demand.

Westley Richards also had standard and Magnum guns.

Holland and Holland have a Paradox in their current line up and have had for quite some time. A couple have come up for sale at Holts over more recent times.

I purchased a Nitro Paradox myself recently, A 1930's CW Andrews of London/Birmingham with 29 inch barrels and sighted for 50 and 100 yards, it has the original case in good condition. It was owned by the one time Governor of Malay.

I have been collecting components and have been lucky enough to be able to gather together lead, powder, primers, wads and cases for over 3500 shots. Also luckily for me there are quite a number of very experienced Paradox and bore gun owners in the BGRC who have vast experience in loading.

I intend to use mine for both types of game as originally intended, and could have used it recently on a rice trip where we shot a good number of birds, but also for the first time pigs have appeared in reasonable numbers on the property, and deer have also now been sighted by the farmer. If I had the Paradox with me I could have easily bagged at least four pigs, so very keen to get it working accurately.

I will also be using it at the BGRC shoots and we in the process of developing some new Bore gun events using animal type targets.

Very excited to say the least.

Matt.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com