Lane
(.224 member)
20/06/17 11:46 PM
Re: 16 bore for grizzly

Thanks a lot for your help Daryl. Your patched ball loads for your Husquvarna helped me out a lot in figuring out how to load balls for this gun. I had always wondered about whether or not a patch would stay on a ball shot from a breechloader--obviously they do.

Do any of you have any idea what sort of velocity I may be getting with the load I mentioned above? I don't have a chronograph so I can't measure velocity. In an old Dixie Gunworks catalog it says that a charge of 4 parts lead to 1 part powder (by weight) will get 1670 FPS. I approximately have a 4 to 1 load; the ball weighs about 400 grains if I remember right and the charge is 100 grains. I don't know how close this is in a breechloader I am guessing it could make a difference but I don't know. Also like I said I have only 18.5 inch barrels so I don't know how much that lowers the velocity. I am sure the number and thickness of wads makes a difference to. I am assuming that the wads will increase velocity as I assume they will be pretty effective in sealing the bore especially with a patched ball in a cylinder bore.

Also I have a nearly full gallon can of old "range scrap" in other words old fired pistol bullets mostly cast .38 slugs. Obviously this depends on whether they are home cast or factory cast etc. but are slugs for modern pistols normally harder or softer than wheel weights? I haven't tried casting with them yet so I don't know what to expect from them. I have cast balls for my flintlock rifles and cap & ball revolvers since I was 11 years old I just never concerned myself about hardness before.

Thanks for your help and sorry for all the questions.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com