Heelerau
(.300 member)
03/02/17 09:59 AM
Re: Isaac Hollis and Son 12 bore percussion rifle

Sarge, look forward to some pictures and a range report. Yesterday I fired off about 6 or 8 rounds off hand at a gum tree in the paddock at about 25 paces. All leather patches survive intact, last shot was a flyer. The mould is .678 diameter so well under size, hence the thick leather patch, using old riggers gloves lubricated with spit. most of the shots within a handspan. the last well away, I have found the mould a little tricky as the ball is large, a lot of shrinkage on cooling occurs and you can get quite a large void which will throw the shot. Not so fussed at this stage as I am just banging shots downrange to slick up the bore and get rid of the remaining small rust spots. I will likely send to Track of the Wolf for a .7185 ball mould and use a linen patch, most likely stay with the 3 drams as boy it does tear up the hard wood trees I have been using. I gather they were often referred to as ounce rifles or deer rifles, Imagine you will have a bunch of fun with yours going after NZ deer.

Cheers

Gordon

Contact Us NitroExpress.com