DarylS
(.700 member)
28/12/15 10:27 AM
Re: Straight-Rifled SxS Husqvarna 16ga -Double Rifle or Shotgun?

Mine had only the right barrel rifled and it was .705" groove to groove.

For my gun, the original ammo for these, was black powder with round ball in a 16 gauge brass case, while the other chamber, exactly the same size, was for 2.5" 16 gauge paper cases.

In my gun, the left barrel was modified choke, 16 gauge.

I used to load brass cases for both barrels.

Incidently, the chambers were only 1/8" short of standard 2.3/4" plastic hulls. My gun shot beautiful full patterns out of the left 16 bore smooth barrel, and did not do-nut pattern from the cylinder straight rifled tube with 2 3/4" 1 ounce of # 7 1/2 lead field loads.

The straight rifling handled shot nicely on rising grouse - quite deadly, actually.

I slugged the bore with a .714" ball to get full depth, and then tried the normal .682" ball I use in my .69 ML rifle. These engraved a bit and are what I used to test accuracy in the target below. Mine had a .675" bore, almost a true 15 bore (.677"), bore. I also used 2F and think it might group better than 3F, although 3f will give higher velocity.

I only targeted mine at 28 yards.

I refinished the stock.

It patterned even better with black powder and normal card and fiber wads. I used 14 bore wads for a perfect fit in the 16 bore brass.

They are really neat guns, Bob. Wish mine had been rifle both tubes as yours is.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com