93x64mm
(.416 member)
19/10/14 09:19 AM
Re: Purdey 20b SxS Rifle, Pinfire

Tinker
I must be ignorant here mate as I'm lost as to how do you then fit the primer/compound into the reformed case for the 'pin' to fire from your notes below?
Or does the pin crush the BP inside the case & setting off the main charge?
Better still I think you better step us thru it again for us uneducated sods!
Lovely double by the way & its also nice to know the history behind such pieces of working art!
Keep up the good work, its lovely to see these fine old arms brought back to life.
Kind regards
93x64mm

So, in response to the request to show the cartridge case forming process, here's a quick snapshot of the forming die, and 20b Magtech brass from outta the box to fully formed and converted.

At left is the die, then a virgin piece of brass.
First step is with necks annealed, and first pass through the die.
Then the brass gets marked and cut, the primer pocket gets swaged down from inside then filled with silver, and as a result the base end of the brass is annealed when the silver job is quenched.
Then back to the swaging die for a pass up to the rim.

From there it's a trip to the lathe to turn the belt off and shape the rim, and thin the head of the case, then turned around to spot face what remains of the old primer pocket to make the interior face of the case head flat.

The firing pin holes are marked with the cases in the rifle, then hand drilled to the exact size of the hard silicon bronze wire.
That's followed with one last pass to the rim in the swaging die.

Voila!
The last process will be to tumble them, load them, and take them out the ranch for further testing.

--Tinker

Contact Us NitroExpress.com