8borerifle
(.275 member)
27/04/14 05:53 AM
Re: Nice 8-bore DR at Rock Island next month

Gatsby, that is a good question. Very few English double rifles are all original, most have had the barrels redone and some refinish on the stock. Recolor hardening is the biggest detriment to resale that I can think of, along with a restock. Of course the bore condition is very important. If a rifle were redone in a manor that looks original as to the age, it would be worth more than one brought to new condition in my opinion. I bought a Holland 8 Bore double rifle about 10 years ago that was pitted all over the barrels, action and locks and the stock was sanded below metal and the checkering butchered. After the entire rifle was stoned to remove the pitting and the damascus barrels rebrowned and re-engraved it was restocked. I then sent it to be color hardened. It looked really nice, but I had a hard time selling it for $16,500 a couple of years later as most collectors didn't want it. A wealthy guy bought it to just hang on his wall as a conversation piece! One mistake I made was to restock it with a really good piece of English Walnut. The highly figured wood looked out of place with the border engraved action and locks. Believe me, there are people out there that could take that Perrins and back off the color hardening, age look the stock and thin the barrel browning and you would swear it was original. I guess what I am trying to say is that an original OR an original looking rifle will bring more money than a like as new redo. I am guessing the Perrins would be in the high 20's to low 30's, but that is my opinion. Like a friend said who was trying to sell an overpriced hot rod, "there is a butt for every seat". I really do like the Perrins, but wouldn't think of paying the estimate PLUS 15%.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com