Ruger_450
(Banned)
14/04/14 04:41 AM
Re: .730 paradox bullets needed

I don't know what the software is. I talked to the guy at Lee, told him what I wanted and he designed it and sent me a link to the picture.

One error I made is that the Baker was a "hammer them to start" design. The famous statue in London even shows the hammer used hanging from the "Chosen man's" belt. I would have made it .605 rather than .610.

Back then they used patched round balls although when things got hot they would carry bare balls in their mouths, spit them onto the charge, keep the muzzle elevated and kill the Frenchies.

If you have not seen the series "Sharpe's Rifles" you should. The books were great but to see the Bakers in action is great. Netflix has it …. sadly not remastered in BluRay.

Recently I acquired a discontinued Lyman Round nose Minnie Ball hollow base .585 mold. Gonna try it as is. If it doesn't work I am lucky to have a pal who builds molds and can open it up to .600 so starting and reloading won't take a hammer.

I have actually shot mine off a front rest out to 400 yards at a VW bug sized boulder. After some "Kain-tuck" elevation, you would not want to be in that VW.

As for your Paradox gun, 12 gauge is .729 and most slugs are hollow based. You could also buy some Brennekke 12 bore slugs with the screwed on wads and try them.

Finally Ballistic Products:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Slugs/departments/198/

has all kinds of 12 bore slugs, sabots and molds.

I have shot 45 caliber Barnes Copper bullet sabots from my .452 percussion ML and they will shoot well enough for shots to 200 yards. It is really set up for big heavy lead bullets, but the Barnes would work for hunting.

When I lived in the East in a shotgun only for deer area I used Brennekes for years but then switched to the 12 Bore Federal Barnes sabots. They shot flatter, would put 3 in a playing card at 100 (scoped, rifled 870) and killed like the hammer of Thor on big corn fed Whitetails.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com