transvaal
(.300 member)
20/02/13 02:27 AM
New 20-bore DR I built and engraved

Gentlemen;

I am a new member and this is my first post. By way of introduction I retired 5 years ago and last year I decided to build a double rifle. I chose a bore rifle as I thought that that would be best for a first effort. I met "Birdhunter50" of this BBS via another BBS and he shared some very important tips me on turning barrel blanks down on my lathe as well as barrel profiles. He also added tips related to regulation and other points.

My main hobby is the restoration of English vintage shotguns and therefore I have a small machine shop with milling machines, lathes, and other associated equipment. (If you are in Australia, UK, or South Africa, a small engineering shop is like the term you will use instead of the American term "machine shop".) 3 years ago I also began to learn to engrave.

The 20-bore DR is based upon a Yildiz 4140 alloy steel 12 bore action action, Verney-Carron 20 bore barrel blanks, mono-block from the Yildiz barrels and the wood from same. I did all the work, engraving and nitre coloring of the DR; and Turnbull did the action case color hardening and Dan May did the barrel blacking.

I am now going to try to add photos of the completed DR and the final regulation target (at 100 yards). The engraving and machining BBS' that I a member have other ways of adding photos directly instead of the indirect way of using a Photobucket type service and I can get along with them OK. The method used here is new to me, so I may not get it right the first time and have to ask my friend Bob--Birdhunter50 to help me.

Best Regards;
Stephen Howell

Contact Us NitroExpress.com