Omnivorous_Bob
(.333 member)
29/10/12 01:49 PM
Bore Rifle Book

A few days ago I had the pleasure of getting a copy of my good friend and fellow Alaskan Cal Pappas' new book, the British Bore Rifle, so I want to take this chance to make a shameless plug to my fellow bore gun afficiandos. Shameless because a few of my guns are in it (along with a lot of other fellows on this site)!

I just finished it last night and it truly is a worth while read for those interested in the biggest hunting guns ever made. About half of the 400+ pages is history and load info, hunting stories, etc, and the other half devoted to eye candy from 4-bores on down, way down. I've been interested in bore guns for many years, had the pleasure to own and hunt with a few, and there was a lot of information (particularly in the history section) that I'd never heard of before. As a result my reading list just grew a bunch as I now must research some more of the old Africa and India pioneers I just learned of.

I loved the old black and white photos of hunters with truly massive doubles. I can't imagine going on safari with 300lb of lead and 400lb of powder!

Cal is on NE so I'm sure you could PM him or contact him through his website calpappas.com if you want a copy.

Since I killed my old camera last week this gave me an excuse to try out the wife's. The book in appropriate surroundings:

Bob

Contact Us NitroExpress.com